How do I create a subscription product?
To sell a subscription-based product on your website, set up a product in the Product Manager and select Subscription as the Product Type.
2. Name your product and add a headline. The headline is what will appear at the top of your product's landing page.
These are frequently the same.
3. Click on the dropdown under Product Type and select Subscription.
4. Subscription details will open. Set your Subscription Type under the first dropdown.
6. Set the duration of the subscription. Click on the dropdown to set the units (days, weeks, months, years).
7. If relevant, select the publication or newsletter to associate with your subscription product by clicking on the box next to it.
Learn more about setting up publications in: How do I create or edit a publication?
8. Add a description for your subscription product. Be detailed!
Use the WYSIWYG editor or input straight HTML into the box under Description. Learn more about formatting content in: How do I format content?
9. Add an Internal ID and/or External ID, both of which are optional.
The Internal ID is commonly used to hold the SKU number or third-party vendor ID number for the product for either reporting or inventory control purposes. Generally, this value is sent to the third-party along with any other order information.
If you have more than one integration partner needing reports on product orders, the External Field ID field can also hold the SKU number or third-party vendor ID number for the product for either reporting or inventory control purposes. Generally, this value is sent to the third-party along with any other order information.
10. If shipping is required (as it would for a print copy), click the box next to Enable Shipping. Your e-commerce site will then ask for a shipping address.
Click next to Taxable if you are taxing this product. And add a weight for the product if you are charging additional for shipping. Learn more about shipping rates in: How do I update shipping rates?
11. If you'd like an image associated with this product, click Browse to select or upload an image.
Learn more about using the Media Manager to upload images and other files in: How do I upload new media, such as photos, videos and files?
12. Set the Site Placement. For example, you may want to feature this product on your subscriptions landing page.
Taxonomy is unique to each website. Contact your solutions manager if you have any questions.
13. Add a teaser, which will appear on index pages for products.
14. Add keywords by typing into the Keywords box or clicking Click to analyze keywords for automated suggestions.
These will be pulled into the SEO form for this product.
15. Set the price.
The only required field is Cost, which is the price of the product. You may also add an Orig. Cost, which would allow you to display a discount. For example, if the Orig. Cost of the article is $10, and the Cost is $9, the product page would show a 10% discount.
16. To add pricing based on quantity, set a minimum and maximum quantity, as well as the cost. Add a description for that pricing tier.
16.1. Add an additional pricing tier by clicking Add more on the right.
16.2. Add the details for that pricing tier.
To show the discount your customer is receiving by purchasing at that quantity, include the Orig. Cost here as the price of buying one item. In this case, $10. Depending on your website's design, the product will display as 10% off.
16.3. To delete a pricing tier, click Delete on the right.
17. Click Create to create your product.
19. Add a custom confirmation email message, which will be sent along with the default receipt your customer will receive.
20. Assign Classification and Topic/Category taxonomy, which is highly site-specific.
Please contact your solutions manager with any questions.
21. Select Save.
23. If desired, update the URL, Browser Title and Meta Description. You may also want to import or update the keywords.
Clicking direct access allows you to share the product's link directly with someone without having to publish the product first. This is one way of viewing the product on your website to ensure everything is set up properly.
24. If you have made changes, click Save.
26. You may Browse Offers to associate an existing offer with your product or create a new offer.
Learn more about creating discount codes or offers in this article: How do I create discount codes or offers?
27. To publish your product, return to General under Edit, and click Publish.
28. To save your product as a template, click Save as a Template at the bottom of the product's properties.
This will allow you to create another product in the future with similar properties. The new product will pre-populate based on the the template, but will be editable. This is especially useful for subscription products if you are setting up different terms.