How do I create custom directory listing details that will appear on my directory listing?
Publishers that want to show data on directory listings unique to your publication must first set up custom directory listing details.
The Directory Listing Detail Manager controls the creation of the fields that display on your more complex directory listings. If you have questions about this, please contact your Solutions Manager.
Note: Depending on your site's customizations, changes here may not be shown on the site. Please ask your Solutions Manager if you have questions.
Important: You will need access to the Sys Admin > Directory Listing Detail Manager. Talk to your systems administrator to get this privilege added to your role or as an individual privilege in the User Manager.
To learn how to set up an event that uses these custom directory listing details in your Event Manager, read this article: How do I create a Directory Listing?
1. Open the Directory Listing Detail Manager. Find it under Sys Admin on your dashboard.
2. To create a new custom directory listing detail, select Create & Edit. The Directory Listing Detail Manager will open.
To determine the order of the details on your directory listings, your site administrator can update the order in the Sys Admin Directory Listing Detail Manager by dragging and dropping the fields.
NOTE: Contact ePublishing to reset the system to use the updated order of the custom directory listing fields. This is best handled as a Help Desk ticket. The order will affect the landing pages of all events tagged with that directory listing classification.
3. If "Activate" is unchecked, it will be visible when editing the Custom portion of your Directory Listing in the Directory Listing Manager.
4. If "Required?" is checked, anyone setting up a directory listing MUST enter content to this section or they will not be able to save any changes from the Custom subform.
5. Internal Name is required. This should be a short descriptive name in lowercase about this section of the directory listing. For example: branches or custom.data.2013.
6. Display name is the title of the section. It is required.
7. The Display message will not appear on the directory listing page.
It is there to give you a space to add instructions to your team on what it should add in this section when setting up the directory listing. This is not required. This will only appear in the Directory Listing Manager under Custom.
8. Select a Value Type.
- Integer = Whole number
- Decimal = Decimal number
- String = Text in a string
- Text = Larger blocks of content
9. Select a Field type. Depending on which type you select here, different options will appear. Here's an example of a Textfield selection.
- Textfield = Max character limit will be 255
- Textarea = Block of text with no upper limit on characters.
- Selection = Multiple defined selection for the event registrant to select. This uses the Select box form field.
- Checkbox = This uses checkboxes, allowing the selection of a set number of options.
- Radio button = This uses radio buttons, allowing the selection of a single option.
9.1. *** And here's what appears when you select Checkbox.
9.2. After you select your Field type, you will be prompted to fill out additional fields.
Input field length: When shown, define how many characters you will allow to be input into that field. If left empty or unchanged, it will be 0. If 0, the admin tool will not save or accept any values typed into this field when someone is registering for an event. The Max number of characters allowed is 255.
Allowed number of values: When this option is available, enter the max number of entry fields to appear on the Event Manager > Custom section for admin tool users. Not all fields need to have data unless the Required? checkbox is selected when you first set up this Custom Event Detail. If selected, all fields are required. For Selection and Checkbox field types, the "allowed number of values" will determine how many individual selections are permitted for the admin user before an error message occurs.
Validation pattern: This is for advanced users only. This allows you to use regex (regular expressions) to set a validation pattern. This works with the field: Validation failure message, to validate submitted entries. For questions on this, please look to tutorials available online or books on the subject.
Validation failure message: As noted above, this works hand-in-hand with the validation pattern field. Entries here should be short, but useful, so that the user knows what type of content will be validated. For example: "Please enter in all caps," or "Please remove all punctuation or special characters."
10. Assign a Classification or Classifications for the Directory Categories type that will use this custom field. For example, the custom detail "Branches" would only apply to a listing with branches vs. a listing with annual report data, so you only want it to appear for directory types that are relevant. In this case, we've selected "Buyer's Guide."
More than one can be selected. Assigning a Classification is required.
11. For Textarea or Textfield, a "default value for field" will appear under the Classification. This is optional.
If you add text here, it will appear by default when your team is setting up events.
12. When Checkbox, Selection or Radio Button are selected as the Field type, the options available will show under Classification.
12.1. To add an option for selection, type it into the Option Label box. This allows the admin user setting up the event to select the correct option for that event. For example, which hotel the event is held at.
Type in the name, and click Add more on the right if you have additional choices. Select the box under Default if you would like it to default to one of the selections when setting up a directory listing.
IMPORTANT: When entering multiple option names/values, the values are saved in the order entered. Use the icon to the left of the name / value pair to drag and drop to a different position, if desired.
12.2. The Option Value is the number saved to the database when that option is selected. This value matters for any third-party integrations that may need to make use of the data saved here.
14. To create a new Directory Listing or modify an existing one, return to the Directory Listing Manager. You will find the details you just created under Edit > Custom + the relevant Directory classification.
Learn more about setting up directory listings here: How do I create a new directory listing?