What You Can Do with the Navigation Manager
Use the Navigation Manager to:
Add a Menu Link
Our online Tools Guide provides an overview of key steps in updating or changing navigation: How do I change or update the navigation on my website? Or get step-by-step instructions on adding a link for a new landing page here: How do I add a navigation link for my landing page?
Here are additional notes not covered in the online guide:
- Menu Name Dropdown: This displays all of the menu names that can be controlled by the Navigation Manager. The name “main” usually represents your main navigation at the top of your website. “Footer” represents the links at bottom of your website. Menu names may vary by website, so review your website documentation or check with your solutions manager if you have questions.
- Edit the menu: Use this to rename or delete the selected menu. Changes here are permanent.
- Menu tree: On the bottom half of the Navigation Manager tool is the menu tree. On the left, find the main menu links. If the link has a file folder next to it, click on it to view its “child links.” These may represent dropdown menus under the main links. Page icons indicate menu items that have no dependent menu items. Greyed-out file folders or page icons indicate menu items that are hidden.
- Hide/Show: This button indicates whether a menu item is visible or not visible on your website.
- ID: This field is uneditable, but shows you the ID number for the selected menu item.
- Title: This is the actual name that will appear as a link in your website’s navigation.
- URL: This is the URL that you want the menu item to link to. Include the HTTP or HTTPS if you are linking to an external page. If you are linking to an internal page, you may use the actual URL or a redirect if one has been set up in the Redirect Manager.
- Site Placement: Some websites use this to determine which menu item should appear active when content is associated with the selected site placement.
- Image: Some navigation is image-based. In those cases, the image can be uploaded here. Click BROWSE to access the Media Manager.
Before creating a new menu, please review your website documentation or talk with your solutions manager to determine what is required to get it to appear where you need it to on the website.
Modify an Existing Menu Item
Our online Tools Guide provides an overview of key steps in updating or changing navigation: How do I change or update the navigation on my website? Here are additional notes not covered in the online guide:
Delete a Menu Item
There are two ways to delete a Menu Item:
- Go to the section of the Navigation Manager that shows a file folder next to the menu item. Select the menu item and wait for its details to appear on the right. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select DELETE to permanently remove the item.
- Or after clicking on the file folder in which the menu item lives, right-click on the item you’d like to delete and select DELETE to permanently remove the item. For example: