What You Can Do with the Poll Manager
Use the Poll Manager to:
Create a New Poll
To create a poll, select the CREATE link from within the Poll Manager or next to Poll under Editorial on your dashboard. Follow the instructions in the ePublishing Tools Guide: How do I create a poll?
Our online Tools Guide provides an overview of key steps in creating a poll. Here are additional notes:
- Status: The Publish/Unpublish button at the top indicates whether the RSS Feed is currently live on your site.
- Title: The only required field for a poll. This can be displayed on your website.
- Teaser: The teaser appears on the poll on your website, if desired. For expert users, straight HTML can be copied and pasted into the teaser box without using the WYSIWYG.
- Site Placement: This is highly site-specific, but most commonly “run.of.site” is available to tell your website to show the poll wherever your template allows. Only the most recently created poll tagged with “run.of.site” will appear.
- Topic/Category: These are fed by the Taxonomy Manager. Tag your poll with any topics or categories that relate to the poll. If your website is set up to show polls on particular pages that are driven by specific topics or categories, the poll will show up if tagged appropriately.
- Go Live Date/Time: These allow you to set the specific date and time that the poll will go live on your website. The poll will only be published if the Go Live date and time have passed and the status of the poll is PUBLISHED. When you click the Pick a Date button, a calendar will appear. Click on the desired date. If a date is manually entered, use this format: YYYY-MM-DD. For example, 2015-08-15. The time is set based on a 24-hour clock.
- Pull Date/Time: Set the date that the poll will be removed from the website. It will only remove the poll if the time and date have passed and the status of the poll is PUBLISHED.
Search for a Poll
To find an existing poll, click SEARCH & EDIT next to Poll on your dashboard or within the Poll Manager. To search, type search terms into the top field, including poll ID#, title or questions. To select a poll, click on the poll title in the search results. Results show whether a poll is published or unpublished.
Duplicate a Poll
To find and duplicate an existing poll, click SEARCH & EDIT next to Poll on your dashboard or within the Poll Manager. Next to your search result, click Duplicate to copy the poll. The new poll will open and appear unpublished. Edit the title and update questions as needed. Don’t forget to publish and update the Go Live Date and Time.
Add or Edit Questions and Answers in a Poll
Click on Questions under Edit> while in the Poll Manager to access and edit questions for your poll. To add a question and responses, click the “+” icon at the top of the page. To open the question for editing, click the “>” icon next to the question. To close a question, click the “V” icon. Clicking the third icon, “X,” removes the question. Get step-by-step instructions on editing or adding questions in the ePublishing Tools Guide: How do I create a poll?
The following fields repeat for each new question. There is no limit to the number of questions you can add to a poll.
- Question Title: The actual question for the poll. For example, if you want to know your readers’ favorite color, ask that in this field: “What is your favorite color?”
- Question Teaser: This field is not frequently used. Use the WYSIWYG box to enter a brief explanation of the poll question. For expert users, straight HTML can also be copied and pasted into the teaser box without using the WYSIWYG.
- Question Body: This field is not frequently used. Use the WYSIWYG box to enter a more detailed explanation for the question. For expert users, straight HTML can also be copied and pasted into the teaser box without using the WYSIWYG.
- Add Answer (+) Icon: Clicking this icon adds answers or responses for the poll question. Readers then select from these responses.
- Each answer has three icons:
- Order icon: Click and drag the order icon “|||” to reorder the poll question’s answers.
- Delete: Click the third icon “X” to remove the answer.
- Add an Answer: Click “+” to add another answer.
Change the Order of Questions in a Poll
Click on Questions under Edit> while in the Poll Manager to access and edit questions for your poll. To change the order of questions, click and drag the Order Icon (|||) to the preferred spot.
View Poll Results
If a poll has been published and readers have submitted their feedback, those statistics will appear within the poll’s questions when editing in the Poll Manager. The answers and both the number of responses and the percentages are available.
Delete an Existing Poll Question
To delete an existing poll question, select the poll that the question is associated with. Under Edit>, select Question. All questions for your poll will appear, but in a collapsed format. To delete a specific question and the associated answers, click the “X”, which is the third icon for the question. When the pop-up appears to verify the deletion, click YES.
Note: Once a poll is running on your website, deleting a question may have a negative impact on the statistics shown for a given question. Also, deleting a question cannot be undone.
Delete a Poll
To delete a poll, select the SEARCH & EDIT link from your dashboard next to Poll to find the poll. If you know your poll ID#, use the edit by ID link. When the poll is open, click the Delete button. A pop-up box will ask you to verify the deletion. Click YES to delete. Click NO if the deletion request was accidental.
Note: Once a poll has been deleted, all statistics and poll questions are also deleted, too. If you want to retain any information on the poll, either UNPUBLISH the poll or change the Go Live and Pull Dates/Times.
Remove a Poll from the Website
Any poll can be removed from the site via one of two methods:
To manually remove a poll from the site, hit the UNPUBLISH button. It will be removed from the site. Timing will depend on the caching rules.
Setting the Pull Date/Time with a date in the future will automatically deactivate the poll, removing it from the site, when the time passes. The poll will still be published, but will be inactive.