How do I create a subscription product using the new subscription form (with license options)?
To sell a subscription-based product on your website, set up a product in the Product Manager and select Subscription as the Product Type. This article applies to the updated subscription form process now available from ePublishing.
2. Name your product and add a title. The title is what will appear at the top of your product's landing page.
These are frequently the same.
- Set the license type to individual, free trial or site license
Individual = The subscription is available to a single individual. Most subscriptions will use this option.
Free Trial = If the subscription is a free trial. At the end of the trial, additional action will be needed to convert the user to a paid subscription.
Site License = Whether this subscription is available as a site license product. NOTE: This will require the potential subscriber to fill in a contact form to receive pricing based on the actual size of their site license and, if relevant, the number of seats they will be permitted.
- Set the subscription as online only, print only or print & online.
- Set the duration of the subscription. Click on the dropdown to set the units (days, weeks, months, years).
- If relevant, select the publication or newsletter to associate with your subscription product by clicking on the box next to it.
Learn more about setting up publications in: How do I create or edit a publication?
5. Add a description for your subscription product. Be detailed! Then add a teaser (short description)
Use the WYSIWYG editor or input straight HTML into the box under Description. Learn more about formatting content in: How do I format content?
The Internal ID is commonly used to hold the SKU number or third-party vendor ID number for the product for either reporting or inventory control purposes. Generally, this value is sent to the third-party along with any other order information.
If you have more than one integration partner needing reports on product orders, the External Field ID field can also hold the SKU number or third-party vendor ID number for the product for either reporting or inventory control purposes. Generally, this value is sent to the third-party along with any other order information.
7. If shipping is required (as it would for a print copy), click the box next to Enable Shipping. Your e-commerce site will then ask for a shipping address.
- Click "Enable Shipping"
- If applicable, select "Taxable?"
- Add a weigh for the product if you're charging for additional shipping
For more on shipping rates: How do I update shipping rates?
Learn more about using the Media Manager to upload images and other files in: How do I upload new media, such as photos, videos and files?
9. Set the Site Placement. For example, you may want to feature this product on your subscriptions landing page.
Taxonomy is unique to each website. Contact your solutions manager if you have any questions.
10. Add keywords by typing into the Keywords box or clicking Click to analyze keywords for automated suggestions.
These will be pulled into the SEO form for this product.
The only required field is Cost, which is the price of the product. You may also add an Orig. Cost, which would allow you to display a discount. For example, if the Orig. Cost of the article is $10, and the Cost is $9, the product page would show a 10% discount.
- Set the cost
- To add pricing based on quantity, set a minimum and maximum quantity, as well as the cost.
- Add a description for that pricing tier.
- Add an additional pricing tier by clicking Add more on the right.
- Add the details for that pricing tier.
- To show the discount your customer is receiving by purchasing at that quantity, include the Orig. Cost here as the price of buying one item. In this case, $10. Depending on your website's design, the product will display as 10% off.
- To delete a pricing tier, click Delete on the right.
You'll receive a confirmation notice that your product has been created. It is not yet published.
13. Add a custom confirmation email message, which will be sent along with the default receipt your customer will receive.
Click on "Show more fields" and click on "email content."
Your email confirmation message WYSIWYG will appear below your pricing options. Fill this out with your confirmation/thank you message. Clients will receive this message when they purchase your product.
Please contact your Solutions Manager with any questions.
If desired, update the URL, Browser Title and Meta Description. You may also want to import or update the keywords.
You may Browse Offers to associate an existing offer with your product or create a new offer.
Learn more about creating discount codes or offers in this article: How do I create discount codes or offers?
Go to the products tab to add/associate this offer with your subscription product.
You can duplicate this product to create a new product with similar properties. The new product will pre-populate based on the the template, but will be editable. This is especially useful for subscription products if you are setting up different terms.